I’ve always hated English. Not the language mind you, the subject. The thing I always hated about it was the fact that there were so many “rules” that I was told I was supposed to follow. But the real problem was that is seemed like there were nearly as many exceptions to the rules as there were rules themselves. It didn’t make sense to me. There were no exceptions to the rules I was taught in math. I never had to deal with “2+2=4 unless the preceding problem is 7-9.”
Now that I’m older I realize why my younger self was so frustrated with the system. Because the truth is, there are no “rules” to the English language; there was never a time when a bunch of professors got together and said, “So we’ve got all these words floating around, and maybe it would be nice to develop a framework of grammar for them to fit into.” Language became what it is through usage. That isn’t to say that there’s no right and wrong way of using language, but the heart of good usage is structure.
For instant, this sentence aren’t going to works in your mind because it ignore basic subject/verb agreement structure.
But the thing is, you don’t need to be taught that what you just read is wrong. You sense it intuitively, because that simply isn’t how people use language. Don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying that English as a subject shouldn’t be taught at all. But I do think there should be far less emphasis on the so-called “rules.” To quote Captain Barbossa “They’re more like guidelines, really.”
The Mulch Pile
A Prairie Home Apocalypse or: What the Dog Saw
The Human Echoes Podcast
- Hop on this. The @ZeboydGames Rain Slick Precipice entries are AWESOME. twitter.com/ZeboydGames/st… 26 minutes ago
- .@ZeboydGames is the only game studio I care about. If they are making it, I'm excited about it. 6 hours ago
- Finally got my grubby mitts on Cosmic Star Heroine thanks to the #SteamSummerSale. Looking forward to playing @ZeboydGames latest. 6 hours ago
- Really wish @YouTube supported better ways to track conversations in the comments from the dashboard. 9 hours ago
- RT @nilaffle: Art by Jenny Boudon for the Troy Chariot troychariot.org/2060/opinion/b… https://t.co/M4vuH3n8db 1 day ago
Unsanity Files Blog Archive