I’ve always hated English. Not the language mind you, the subject. The thing I always hated about it was the fact that there were so many “rules” that I was told I was supposed to follow. But the real problem was that is seemed like there were nearly as many exceptions to the rules as there were rules themselves. It didn’t make sense to me. There were no exceptions to the rules I was taught in math. I never had to deal with “2+2=4 unless the preceding problem is 7-9.”
Now that I’m older I realize why my younger self was so frustrated with the system. Because the truth is, there are no “rules” to the English language; there was never a time when a bunch of professors got together and said, “So we’ve got all these words floating around, and maybe it would be nice to develop a framework of grammar for them to fit into.” Language became what it is through usage. That isn’t to say that there’s no right and wrong way of using language, but the heart of good usage is structure.
For instant, this sentence aren’t going to works in your mind because it ignore basic subject/verb agreement structure.
But the thing is, you don’t need to be taught that what you just read is wrong. You sense it intuitively, because that simply isn’t how people use language. Don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying that English as a subject shouldn’t be taught at all. But I do think there should be far less emphasis on the so-called “rules.” To quote Captain Barbossa “They’re more like guidelines, really.”
The Mulch Pile
A Prairie Home Apocalypse or: What the Dog Saw
- Our SUPOOSEDLY SCARY Doki Doki Literature Club stream is happening in about 30 minutes! mixer.com/humanechoes 54 minutes ago
- RT @ryanqnorth: Overheard in Toronto: "So she hates bananas but she acknowledged they're an excellent source of potassium" "I respect her… 4 hours ago
- My five year old got up at 5:30 in the morning to tell me he didn't like the book I was reading. I haven't really gotten over that all day. 13 hours ago
- I miss the days of movie novelizations. 13 hours ago
- RT @slimedaughter: https://t.co/O3SciSQDeA 14 hours ago
Unsanity Files Blog Archive