I’ve been reading on Wikipedia about the philosophy of self. It’s some pretty deep stuff man. For example some people believe the idea of self is just an illusion, a useful lie we tell ourselves to explain our own existence. This is a crock in my opinion. After all I know I have an identity, a sense of self that extends beyond a simple convenient fiction.
Plato postulated that the idea of self is an extension of function. To quote Wikipedia: “If a knife had a soul, the act of cutting would be that soul, because ‘cutting’ is the essence of what it is to be a knife”
This is really a bit of a cop out, because ultimately this reduces the definition of the self to the act of “being” which is ultimately simple a restatement of the question. If the self is nothing more than the act of being, then what is the essence of the act of being?
The other “definitions” listed are similarly unhelpful.
It’s fascinating to me that such a fundamental question of what the self/soul is unanswered, especially since its a question that everyone has an interest in solving.
The Mulch Pile
A Prairie Home Apocalypse or: What the Dog Saw
- I was just saying I hoped Tomb Raider went on sale on Steam soon, and then I checked and it was! #score 26 minutes ago
- RT @TWDWpod: AJ lost his first tooth! https://t.co/gZWoDm4oN5 1 hour ago
- I'm streaming #Overgrowth! If you want to see a bunny brutally murder some other bunnies with kung fu, come on by! mixer.com/HumanEchoes 4 hours ago
- RT @TWDWpod: TWDW! In which we read the synopsis of Blood Rage, which is unfortunately NOT about a big person made entirely of blood that g… 6 hours ago
- That's not what "enormity" means. twitter.com/iowahawkblog/s… 8 hours ago
Unsanity Files Blog Archive