I’ve been reading on Wikipedia about the philosophy of self. It’s some pretty deep stuff man. For example some people believe the idea of self is just an illusion, a useful lie we tell ourselves to explain our own existence. This is a crock in my opinion. After all I know I have an identity, a sense of self that extends beyond a simple convenient fiction.
Plato postulated that the idea of self is an extension of function. To quote Wikipedia: “If a knife had a soul, the act of cutting would be that soul, because ‘cutting’ is the essence of what it is to be a knife”
This is really a bit of a cop out, because ultimately this reduces the definition of the self to the act of “being” which is ultimately simple a restatement of the question. If the self is nothing more than the act of being, then what is the essence of the act of being?
The other “definitions” listed are similarly unhelpful.
It’s fascinating to me that such a fundamental question of what the self/soul is unanswered, especially since its a question that everyone has an interest in solving.
The Mulch Pile
A Prairie Home Apocalypse or: What the Dog Saw
The Human Echoes Podcast
- RT @MatPatGT: Only 19 more "Once-in-a-lifetime" eclipses before I get my money's worth on these solar glasses. https://t.co/3P7spk0Lk8 1 hour ago
- RT @ryanqnorth: STOCK TIP: If you want to get solar glasses at a steep discount, I'm very bullish on buying them in about an hour or so 6 hours ago
- RT @KatieKuma: #Eclipse2017 https://t.co/4FCTEunExs 6 hours ago
- RT @sorola: Does anyone else think eclipses are cool? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 10 hours ago
- RT @RareHorror: Happy 35th to the Commodore 64. Here's the box art for the C64 horror puzzler, The Castles of Doctor Creep https://t.co/vl… 10 hours ago
Unsanity Files Blog Archive