I’ve always hated English. Not the language mind you, the subject. The thing I always hated about it was the fact that there were so many “rules” that I was told I was supposed to follow. But the real problem was that is seemed like there were nearly as many exceptions to the rules as there were rules themselves. It didn’t make sense to me. There were no exceptions to the rules I was taught in math. I never had to deal with “2+2=4 unless the preceding problem is 7-9.”
Now that I’m older I realize why my younger self was so frustrated with the system. Because the truth is, there are no “rules” to the English language; there was never a time when a bunch of professors got together and said, “So we’ve got all these words floating around, and maybe it would be nice to develop a framework of grammar for them to fit into.” Language became what it is through usage. That isn’t to say that there’s no right and wrong way of using language, but the heart of good usage is structure.
For instant, this sentence aren’t going to works in your mind because it ignore basic subject/verb agreement structure.
But the thing is, you don’t need to be taught that what you just read is wrong. You sense it intuitively, because that simply isn’t how people use language. Don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying that English as a subject shouldn’t be taught at all. But I do think there should be far less emphasis on the so-called “rules.” To quote Captain Barbossa “They’re more like guidelines, really.”
The Mulch Pile
A Prairie Home Apocalypse or: What the Dog Saw
The Human Echoes Podcast
- Steve is my favourite Decepticon. 8 hours ago
- RT @HappyOddGirl: Police swoop on the homeless taking sleeping bags and food parcels in co-ordinated raids in Redbridge #ThisSucks http://t… 10 hours ago
- The short story I wrote today was not that good. But I did write it. Which is better than I've done in the past few weeks. 23 hours ago
- Lots of games these days have co-op mode. Not very many have coop mode. #chickenhaters 1 day ago
- "You're not gonna fight." "I'm not gonna fight, but I'm not gonna run." "Then what are you gonna do?" "I guess I'm gonna die." 1 day ago
Unsanity Files Blog Archive